The female body in corset

(hat tip to weHeartit)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

12 Comments on The Female Body in Corset

1. heidenkind
    March 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM (9 years ago)

As my grandma says, you have to suffer for beauty.

2. Colin
    March 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM (9 years ago)

Be careful – you don’t want to do yourself an injury just to look good.

3. Iris
    March 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM (9 years ago)

I knew what it looked like, but it’s still shocking to see.

4. Imageword
    March 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM (9 years ago)

I think your grandma is wrong.

5. Heather
    March 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM (9 years ago)

Grandmas are always right! What we lack in altered skeletons we make up for in bunions

6. Laura
    March 13, 2010 at 7:00 AM (9 years ago)

Very interesting pictures! I do like the scornful glances that these ladies are giving one another… 🙂

7. Lady Estelle T. Barada
    March 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM (9 years ago)

I have been wearing a corset for 4 years now. I love the look and the feel of tight lacing. But I am not going to the extreme as going for a 19in waistline. Some women went for that extreme, but not all. They started at an early age wearing a corset and forming the body gradually without pain. Our bodies go thought all kinds of changing, stretching, rearranging thought out our life time, especially during child birth.
    It is not deforming the body. I feel if it crafting the body to your needs.

8. Lillian
    May 3, 2010 at 6:02 AM (9 years ago)

The sensation of being tightly laced in well-fitting corsets is frankly superb and delightful. The most important thing is to impose the change in shape gradually.

The beauty of a slender waist is undeniable. All things in moderation.

• Evangeline Holland
      May 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM (9 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by Lillian! In the past, I’ve asked a few costumers about wearing corsets, and many of them have stated that if the corset feels uncomfortable, you’re wearing it incorrectly.

• Lillian
        May 7, 2010 at 4:46 AM (9 years ago)

I love the Edwardian era fashions so much. It was a time of the supremacy of feminine elegance. I can understand why Beauty became a religion for many women.

9. Gibson Girl
    April 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM (7 years ago)

That illustration is actually from the 18th century, around 1790 I think (you can see it’s not an Edwardian type corset.) I always have doubted its veracity — unless someone tightlaced themselves 24 hours a day from a very young age so that their body grew permanently deformed such that it would hold the shape of a corset even without one on, there’s no way they could have really known what was going on internally. There were no x-rays in the 18th century and even with very severe and constant tightlacing, your stomach falls back to normal within an hour or so of removing the corset, so it couldn’t be from an autopsy.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Female Body in Corset